Number of Days Until The 2024 General Election

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Huckabee’s “Constitution”

Sometimes I hate visiting Digby’s site for the simple reason that it is addictive and detrimental to my work habits. [Sigh] Speaking of which, I was just there visiting reading Tristero’s usually excellent writing when I came across his post on fmr. Gov. Mike Huckabee and his remarks yesterday redefining the relationship between church and state:

"I have opponents in this race who do not want to change the Constitution,' Huckabee told a Michigan audience on Monday. 'But I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living god. And that's what we need to do -- to amend the Constitution so it's in God's
standards rather than try to change God's standards so it lines up with some contemporary view."

Forget for a moment the implications this disturbing statement has regarding not only his views about the separation of church and state, but about his views on cultural and social norms.

While the folks over at Digby all seemed to center on the eschewing of modern science as the main focus and cause for sensibilities being upset I was more disturbed by another aspect of his statement:
[…]”so it's [the Constitution] in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards so it lines up with some contemporary view.”
Some ‘contemporary view?’ As opposed to what one would and should ask? The period in human history when the Spanish Inquisition reigned? Or during the period of the Scopes trial when it was all said and done ignorance won the day in court? Or how about when several women were hanged in Massachusetts after being indicted for practicing witchcraft while being one?

Huckabee’s call to change the Constitution so it reflects the standards of the Bible should even give pause to adherents to one book over another: The OT versus the NT. Does he mean standards set such as those in Exodus where one can sell their daughter into slavery? Or how about if my daughter is raped whereas her attacker pays a fine in gold to me and then is to marry her without divorce for the rest of his life? Should I call the police, or should I call my pastor?

Forget the implications for science and separation of church as state. This is what his statement implies by eschewing ‘some contemporary view.’ He knows damn well what he said. There is no doubt in my mind that Huckabee does in fact say what he means and means what he says.

Welcome to Mr. Huckabee’s “constitution.”

No comments: